Friday, November 2, 2007

The Y generation. I have 5 of them and more under my roof! Help!!!

I have just come back form another provincial Hotel yearly meeting. It was the most depressing one ever! The first conference was on the environment, and an Antarctic expedition looking for ice that almost never arrived. This basically confirmed what Mister Gore has been saying in his inconvenient truth DVD.

The next conference was about the Y generation. I have 3 sons, 2 adopted daughters and many employees in this generation. To hear the speaker describe them so exactly was scary. I always seem to be in a state of war with these young people. I could not understand their lack of peer recognition. After all I am the MOM, Boss and whatever… but this does not faze them. Now that I understand them better, maybe it will be calmer here.

The next conference was on the hotel’s association green mission. Believe it or not, companies like me are given one recycling can. And the recycling companies will not come to us to pick it up. We can have all the best intentions, but they are after the residential contracts not the business ones. I am fighting to have them pick up here so we can implement our recycling program, so far no luck.

Next, Revenue Québec informed us of new equipment that will be installed on our computers from 2008 to 2011. This will control restaurant invoicing. They figure they will recuperate billions of dollars. They will have inspectors visiting restaurants and collecting invoices, watching how the billing process is done and then handing out fines on the spot. The cost of the equipment and the upkeep will be in our case over 2000$ and must be paid by us. My argument was with all the extra cash the government supposedly figures they will make, why don’t they pay for this???

Whoever thought inn keeping was all about greeting guests and taking care of them, I have news for you. I spend more time at my desk filling out forms, answering the phone (not for reservations) and catching up on new laws and training. Thank goodness that my hubby and I have a standing appointment at the bar for 6h00 and dinner at 7h00. This way we get to meet some very nice people we would otherwise miss because of all the office work inn keeping entails now.

What ever happened to the good old days???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home