Sunday, December 30, 2007

What ever happened to logik???

I have a saying that it is not against the law to use your brain!

How can people not think of the consequences their actions make?

Does Common sense still exist?



I wish I did not have to depend on others to do my job. Unfortunatly, I am in the service industry so what I need are good people to give good service. I know most people need to work for a living but can we not have pride in doing a good job the first time around? I try to explain that doing it right the first time is much faster than trying to take shortcuts that do not work and then having to start all over again.



I guess I have a bad habit of assuming that people do not need to be told the basics in life like where to put the return adress on an enveloppe. Wrong! You may say that it is on the back, I may say it is on the upper left hand corner, but do you know anyone who would put on the lower right hand corner???? Well that is how my xmas cards went out after asking someone at the front desk to do this for me. When I asked him what he was thinking he replied that he had never posted an enveloppe in his life! the guy is 23 years old and expecting his second child!! Worst, I had a customer staying for three nights for New Year's, who fell ill during the evening and checked out that night to go to the hospital. this young man helped him out with his bags, but did not check him out or let anyone know that they had left. We only found out the next afternoon when the guest called to say that he wanted to settle his bill...Imagine we did not even know he was gone. Imagine if there had been a fire and we told the fireman that there were two people missing!!! As an Innkeeper we must always know who our registered guests are. When the young man came back to work the next evening, I asked him if he was aware that the guest had left the night before? He knew but did not think to let anyone know. needless to say he is no longer working for me.



You may think what is the problem? well this is just the tip of the iceberg! I have staff missing in action because they do not want to work weekends, evenings, holidays... but they want to work in a hotel? and when do they think that guests are able to go to a hotel??? The best was a women who applied for a wedding planner position but was only available from Monday to Thursday from 10h00 to 3h00!!! I laughed so hard she left in a huff.



I have decided to try and slow down now that I have been doing this for 25 years. I am amazed at how many people it takes to do my job. A wedding planner for the weddings (I am still helping), a corporate sales person for the meetings ( I am still working here as well) a front desk manager (Icover for her on her days off) as well as the administration duties. I am not yet enjoying less work, it is actually more work at times but I know that we should not have all our apples in one basket.

enough ranting, it's time for a nice glas of wine!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home